Mehran Faridani

I left Iran in 1975 to live a new life in Europe. After working in Spain and France, I decided to then move to the UK. Initially, I decided to settle in Cambridge not knowing a word of English but yet eager to make an impression. I was acquainted with some Iranian students in the city and together, we decided to do a road trip around the country - driving up to Scotland and then headed towards Wales, Crosskeys College, where my friends were looking to further their studies. 

By this point I had no intention of settling in Wales. Actually, we weren't planning to stay in Wales for long at all - a flying visit. I wasn't even planning to stay in Britain. But by that point, I couldn't return to Iran as the country was going through big change at the time, and the new regime wouldn't accept my faith (Baha'i). Despite this, suddenly, as my friends were enrolling at Crosskeys, I found myself doing the same. 

Before that day started, the last thing on my mind was to study. I'd already qualified as a mechanical engineer in Iran, I didn't feel I needed to do the same in the UK, but I did. The good news was that the course was a walk in the park. I felt it was so easy that I knew more than the lecturer. 

After passing the course, the years that followed were a struggle. Finding a stable job in the 1980s was very difficult. I worked in sales for a little bit and also a Class 1 driver. I also had done a little bit of electronic engineering and had a licence to drive taxis. But it wasn't all difficult, I married a girl from Caerleon and together we worked through the good and challenging times in Wales.

I lived in South Wales for ten years and towards the late 1980s, I felt a new challenge was needed. I'm often known for making decisions on the go, and so, I decided to move to Bristol and bought a fish and chip shop. My wife and I just packed our bags and went, and we raised our two beautiful Cymranian daughters, Parisa and Roseta. I'm so proud of them; what they've achieved and that, despite being raised in the UK, they fully embrace being Iranian. They've visited Iran many times, and I'm really happy to say I've joined them on their travels.

Comments

Popular Posts