Lisa Zahra

When it comes to acting, Lisa is one to watch. In recent years, she has played Middle Eastern character roles in productions like BBC's Casualty and Phoenix Rise. But now, she's taking the next big step in her career and could be noticed in ways that even she might not even know yet.

Born in Swansea in 1981, Lisa has an Iranian father and Welsh mother, and between them have eight children, six of whom, including Lisa, are Cymranian. Her father, from Isfahan, first came to Brighton in the mid-1970s, not knowing a word of English but arrived with hope and expectation. He moved to Swansea completely by accident after a spontaneous road trip made him fall in love with the city. He shortly afterwards met Lisa's mother in college, and Lisa was born a few short years later.

For Lisa, her Iranian and Welsh identities were apart during her childhood. Raised in South Wales, her main connection to Iran came from being with her father during weekends and her grandparents who would occasionally visit the UK. "I was one of very few Middle Eastern girls at secondary school and I felt like the odd one out," she'd explain. "There was casual racism around which bothered me at the time, so I kept being Iranian to myself when with others."

"When I was with my dad it was a completely different story. I have many good childhood memories eating lots of Iranian food and spending cherished times with my grandparents."

It wasn't until Lisa was 18 when she attended drama college and decided to bring her full heritage to the front row of her life. She feels strongly that the Middle East isn't represented so much on screen and any roles that's come her way, she wants do them justice. "Female Middle Eastern characters have always fitted into very few poor stereotypes and I was always determined to show these personalities in a truer light. We are strong and independent, and I am passionate to showing these traits in everything I do."

"I was praised recently for going on Casualty wearing a headscarf and spoke with my usual Welsh accent. But for me, I was only representing many incredible Muslim women who have settled in Wales."

"It's wonderful being both Welsh and Iranian. People from both nations have much in common - their accents sing. Everyone wants to be a mum to everyone and are big feeders -they have great passion for food. There is also a genuine warmth."

Lisa's next acting role is personal. Baba Joon (translated 'Father dear') is a one-woman show where she plays herself, reflecting on her own life experiences and the dilemma she's faced her entire life; can she ever visit her father's homeland? For years, she's yearned to go to Iran and see her relatives there. "My father would tell me so many amazing things about Iran. He's been back-and-forth and has even built a mosque there. Looking at the amazing weddings he's hosted from afar, make me really want to pack my bags and embrace everything the country has to offer. I also have so many cousins I'm yet to meet and really want to."

"But I have always felt something was holding me back - is the country I'm proud to have form part of my identity, safe and welcoming for a woman like me, a female actress who has played a variety of characters which the current regime won't approve of?"

Baba Joon has become something of a passion project for Lisa. She's actively recruited individuals with a Welsh and/or Middle Eastern background to be in her production team. "I wanted people around me who had similar life experiences to myself, as they would best understand my script, my emotions and understand where I'm coming from with what I'm trying to portray. I'm so lucky to have them and they have helped me create a show I'm very, very proud of."

Baba Joon is being shown for one week in Swansea in October 2023, but for those fearing they're missing out, mustn't worry - she's taking the show to San Jose in California before bringing it back to South Wales, in Cardiff at some point in 2024. Who knows where else the show will go beyond then. One thing is for sure, this Cymranian journey will resonate with so many people. 

As for Lisa, after this, the sky's the limit.

Comments

Popular Posts