Interview: Behnaz Akhgar

Behnaz Akhgar is a weather presenter, journalist and radio broadcaster for BBC Wales. Born in Shiraz, Behnaz moved to Swansea at the age of 10 and has not left Wales since. She speaks exclusively to Cymranian about identifying more as Welsh during her childhood, celebrating Norooz and cooking a classic Iranian dish for Derek Brockway.


When did you first realise you were ‘Cymranian’?

I only realised I was a Cymranian when John got in touch with me. I always classified myself as Pelsh (Persian/ Welsh) but I like the sound of Cymranian.

How ‘normal’ has being Cymranian become to you? Did being Cymranian mean something different during your childhood compared to how it does during your adulthood?

I love the fact that I see the world through the eyes of two cultures. I always try to take the best of each one and become a better person. As a teenager I totally disassociated myself with the Persian culture. I immersed myself into the Welsh culture and hated everything Iranian. Then as I got older and started to travel I realised there are so many beautiful aspects to the Persian culture and wanted to reconnect. I went for a visit to Iran in 2005 and loved it. Although I must say I was treated like a foreigner. At that point I realised how Welsh I had become.

What makes you most ‘Welsh’?

The love for this beautiful country and all it stands for. Growing up here and always wanting to come back here no matter where I go in the world. Having lived here for almost 30 years being Welsh is now in my DNA. Thank God 😊

What makes you most ‘Iranian’?

I guess my taste in the food. The food is spectacular. Also I see Iran in another light compared to people who have never been there. Iran is nothing like what you see in the news. Being born there and living my early childhood in Iran has formed some of my ideologies.

What similarities do you see with both Wales and Iran?

The importance of family. Welsh and Iranian people seem to stick together or stay close to each other. Family get togethers are very important in both cultures. The love for music, so the Welsh love to sing and most Iranians either sing or play an instrument. It’s very rare to go to a gathering in Iran and people don’t end up singing. The Welsh sure love to sing too. Also the language has similar sounds like the kh/ll sound so it is much easier for Persians to pronounce Welsh words. Iranians also empathise with saving the Welsh language. When Iran was attacked by the Arabs it fought really hard to keep Farsi as its language. Today Iran is the only country in the Middle East that does not speak Arabic. Iran does have the Arabic alphabet but people still speak Farsi with a few Arabic words in the vocabulary. This is why I am always supportive of preserving the language. What a shame it would be if it was lost.

How embracive are Iranians you know to learning more about Welsh culture?


I think when Iranian people first come from Iran it is a bit of a culture shock and they are super sad to be away from their home and family. It takes about two years for all that to settle. Then they are so amazed by the Welsh culture. As in Iran people only know the UK as England and London. They are always surprised by the kindness and hence why they become fascinated by the Welsh culture. The first thing they ask is about the road signs. So straight away they know there are two languages.

How embracive are Welsh people you know to learning more about Iranian culture?

I would say Welsh people always love to know about Iran as they can’t visit as easily. There are always plenty of questions about Iran which I try to answer. Although I have met a few people who have come up to me in events and have told me about their visits and how much they loved the country. I always tell people to go and visit and not be afraid. No one has been disappointed yet. 😊 My colleagues love coming over for Persian food. I always have to make Fesenjoon for Derek Brockway. That is the pomegranate chicken.

How embracive are your family in celebrating both Welsh and Iranian cultures?


My parents are yes people. They like to get involved in most events especially if it involves a celebration. Although I have to say Christmas is a bigger affair in the Akhgar household than Norooz. Norooz being the Persian New Year which is celebrated on the first day of spring every year. I have started to make more of an effort to celebrate it.

What more can be done to celebrate being both Welsh and Iranian?


This website is a great start. Perhaps one day we can celebrate Norooz on the same scale of Diwali. Some nice food, singing and dancing. Perhaps some historical presentation to educate everyone about Iran.

Comments

Popular Posts