The Berendjy family

Johangir Berendjy (pictured below) first came to Cardiff in 1975 to study Mechanical Engineering at Cardiff University, passing with honours. My father met my mother Euphemia in 1976 (my mum was born in Scotland, but settled in Wales); during the Indian summer. My mother and father (pictured right) gave Shahin and I a great life.  

Everyone knew my father as John, who settled in Newport and ran a shop in Cwmbran. My father was quite protective with us, but was very caring and always educating us on being polite and respectful. My father worked 12-hour days in the shop and certainly showed us a great work ethic. 

Shahin and I are very proud of our Persian heritage. We support both Wales and Iran in the football and are very interested in sport in general. My favourite sport is boxing. I am a professional trainer. I work alongside Luke Pearce in Team SMoA. We got Craig “Smiler” Woodruff in the top 10 in the UK. I enjoy analysing fighters and love it when a game plan gets executed perfectly.

Like most Cymranians we've been brought up on the delights of the Persian cuisine. We take great pride in sharing these beautiful meals with our friends and family. The aroma is unmistakable and so inviting. We’re never happier than when we are eating and making memories with friends. I particularly enjoy offering ghormeh sabzi, to people not aware of the food. It doesn't look the most appealing, some will be put off, until they taste it - then they’re hooked.

We pride ourselves on being friendly to all people and cultures. This is something we’ve had instilled in us from childhood. We sadly lost our father when we were young to cancer. We carry the Berendjy name and wish to do him and all Cymranians proud.

Khodahafez.

Written by Johan Berendjy

Comments

Popular Posts